Donnerstag, 5. Januar 2012

Saigon and its Limitless Energy

4.1. Early in the morning at around 7.30 I left Nha Trang with Destination Ho Chi Minh City, which many Vietnamese still call Saigon. Government officials re-named Saigon to its official name Ho Chi Minh City or just HCMC. After a 5 hour trip by sleeping bus (does not really reward the name as berths are made for Asian people ;) and the noise is incredibly high) we reached Mui Ne, with its wonderful beaches. Weather was damn hot (around 35°Celsius or 95°Fahrenheit). Having a short lunch for around one hour we got on the bus again. Finally, after 6,5 mor hours we arrived in Saigon at around 7.30pm. Wait - we arrived in Saigon at around 5pm but it took us almost 2,5 hours to get from the very outside and the suburbs to the center - crazy!
I checked in at my hotel and was just looking for my bed. Good Night!

My hotel is located in the north-west of District 1.


5.1. After a lovely night in the 9th floor of a hotel I enjoyed a small breakfast before rushing through the streets and somehow trying to survive traffic. I started my tour at the War Remnants Museum, located at the north end of district 1. It took me around 10 minutes to walk to get there.
Was kind of depressing to see pictures of the Vietnam War and its remunifications. Check out below:




Phan Thi Kim Phúc - The picture of the Vietnames girl that tried to escape US napalm attacks (8th June 1972) is one of the most famous ones of the Vietnam War. The photographer Nick Út was rewarded with the Pulitzer Prize for it.
Afterwards I took the direct way down to the riverside. Passing the Opera of Saigon on the left I reached the Me Linh Square with the big statue of Tran Hung Dao. Tran Hung Dao was the successor of Ho Chi Minh as president of Vietnam.

Front View of the Opera

Me Linh Square and Tran Hung Dao

Now - it was time for lunch. After checking out Ben Tanh market (one of the most famous markets in entire Vietnam, offering almost whatever you want!) I found a tiny little, fancy restaurant mainly visited by natives. For around 30,000 Dong (around $ 1,50) I got that tasty meal.

Vietnamese Springrolls, rice and peanuts in a tasty sauce

Next, but final step for today was the Reunification Palace in the middle of district one. Entrance fee was quite high (30,000 Dong / 1,50 $) and not really worth it - to be completely honest. Of course, that place offers a huge amount of history but the exhibition was a bit boring. I therefore did not spend too much time in there.

Reunification Palace

Those two tanks were the first ones crashing through the gates of the Palace when the communist North arrived in Saigon at 30th April 1975. Afterwards the Palace was also known as Independence Palace or Presidential Palace.



Got cellphone?


The President´s Chair


Replica of the Presidents former aircraft
 After my 6-hours-sightseeing trip I returned to my hotel for a short rest. Then I was trying to walk down the streets in order to find something to eat. Quite impossible. I mean to walk. When traffic peaks in the evening cyclos and bikes easily take the sidewalk to drive. One really has to be careful. Now I guess I really know why HCMC´s government tries to abolish cyclos...




1 Kommentar:

  1. Hey Oli der MAAAN :) hübschen Blog hast du da! freut uns mal wieder was von dir zu sehn und zu lesen! Ne schöne Zeit noch in Cambodia und bis baaaaald! :) Grüße Sandra und Jürgen

    AntwortenLöschen